The liver is the largest solid organs in the human body. It is located below the right lung and under the ribcage. Liver’s proper functioning is necessary for survival. The Liver’s main function is to filter the blood coming from the digestive tract. Liver also detoxifies chemicals and metabolizes drugs. Liver Cancer begins in the cells of the Liver.
The most common type of liver cancer is Hepatocellular Carcinoma. It begins in the main type of Liver cell (hepatocyte). Other rare types of liver cancer are Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma and Hepatoblastoma.
Liver cancer occurs when liver cells develop changes or mutations in their DNA. These abnormal cells start growing rapidly and finally form a Tumor in the Liver. Dr Amit Chakraborty is an expert and highly qualified Cancer Surgeon. He has treated lots of complex Liver Cancer cases successfully.
Symptoms of Liver Cancer
Common signs and symptoms of Liver Cancer are:
- Losing weight without trying
- Loss of appetite
- Upper abdominal pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- General weakness and fatigue
- Abdominal swelling
- Yellow discoloration of skin and the whites of eyes (jaundice)
- White, chalky stools
Causes of Liver Cancer
Risk factors or causes of Liver Cancer include:
- Chronic infection with HBV or HCV.: Chronic infection with the hepatitis B virus (HBV) or hepatitis C virus (HCV) increases the risk of liver cancer.
- Cirrhosis: This progressive and irreversible condition causes formation of scar tissue in the liver and increases the chances of developing liver cancer.
- Inherited liver diseases: Liver diseases like Hemochromatosis and Wilson’s disease increase the risk of Liver Cancer.
- Diabetes: Diabetic patients always have higher risk of Liver Cancer.
- Excessive Alcohol Consumption: Excessive Alcohol consumption damages Liver and increases the risk of Liver cancer.
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: An accumulation of fat in the liver increases the risk of liver cancer.
Diagnosis of Liver Cancer
Early detection of Liver Cancer is very helpful for the successful treatment. Various diagnosis tests include
- Blood Test: Blood tests show the liver function abnormalities.
- Imaging Test: Imaging tests include CT scan and MRI scans.
- Liver Biopsy: In this test, a piece of liver tissue is removed for laboratory testing to make a definitive diagnosis of liver cancer.
Treatment of Liver Cancer
Liver Cancer treatment is depending on the type and stage of cancer. Major treatments include
- Surgery: In Liver Cancer, surgery is performed either to remove cancerous tumor or to transplant liver.
- Radiation Therapy: In Radiation therapy, high-powered energy beams such as X-rays and Protons are used to kill cancer cells or to shrink tumor. During radiation therapy, patient lie on a table while a machine moves around patient and directing radiation precisely on the body. In advanced stage of cancer, radiation therapy is used before or after the surgery to relieve pain. It’s often combined with chemotherapy treatments. If surgery is not an option then Cancer Surgeon performs combined chemotherapy and radiation therapy as a primary treatment.
- Chemotherapy: In Chemotherapy treatment, drugs are used to kill cancerous cells. Chemotherapy is often used after the surgery to kill any cancer cells that remained in the body. It can be used alone or combined with radiation therapy. Chemotherapy can be used before the surgery to shrink cancers. In advanced stage of cancer, chemotherapy is used to relieve pain and other symptoms.
- Localized Treatment Options: Main goal of Localized treatment is to kill cancerous cells. Various localized treatment options are heating cancer cells, freezing cancer cells, injecting alcohol into tumor, injecting chemotherapy drug into the liver and placing beads filled with radiation in the live.
- Targeted Drug Therapy: Targeted drug therapy is also useful to stop or slower the growth of cancer tumor.
Liver Cancer is preventable by maintaining healthy weight, avoiding alcohol and vaccinating against Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C diseases.
Today various modern cancer treatments are available not only to control and but also to cure the cancer. Early detection plays an important role in the complete cure or control of Liver Cancer. Dr Amit Cancer Care Clinic is a well equipped with advanced medical equipments to treat all types and stages of cancer.
Dr. Amit Chakraborty
Dr. Amit Chakraborty is a Surgical Oncologist in Girgaon, Mumbai and has an experience of 15 years in this field. He is a well known cancer specialist with an expertise in diagnosing and treating head and neck cancer.
Patient Reviews & Feedback
3563+ Happy Patients
- Vandana Sharma
Best Cancer Surgeon. Dr Amit Chakraborty is a very kind, supportive and skillful Cancer Surgeon. He has treated and cured numerous complicated Throat, Neck and Mouth cancer cases successfully.
- Pranit Patil
A special thanks to Dr Amit Chakraborty, Amit Cancer Care, one of the finest Oncosurgeons in India and such a delightful personality! I simply cannot thank him much for his relentless efforts in treating my father. He has a magic in his words while explaining things calmly. He is the one who boosted confidence in the 1st visit itself and everything sounded so easy after in his presence. All the best Dr.Amit for your future endeavors!
Blogs & Videos
There are many diseases like Heart Failure and others which have a worse prognosis or a higher death ratio in the world. But still today, Cancer is considered as a Taboo in the society.
Surgery and/or radiation treatment may be used to treat early-stage malignancies of the throat since they are tiny, localized, and highly curable when treated early.
Cancer, in terms of biology, is nothing more than a collection of sick cells that divide at a much faster rate than the usual rate. A tumor of this kind forms spontaneously, displacing healthy cells, and spreads fast throughout the body.
Can mouth cancer get cured on its own? Does mouth cancer need any treatment? In this video, Dr. Amit Chakraborty (M.S. Gen. Surgery, M.Ch. Oncosurgery) will guide us in-depth about this topic.
Why are the cases of Head & Neck Cancer increasing in India? It has been identified that in past few years the cases of Head & Neck Cancer are growing rapidly in our country. Why is it so? In this video, Dr. Amit Chakraborty (M.S. Gen. Surgery, M.Ch. Oncosurgery) will guide us about this topic.
What are the various treatment options for Head & Neck cancer? In this video, Dr. Amit Chakraborty (M.S. Gen. Surgery, M.Ch. Oncosurgery) will shed a light on different types of treatments to cure head & neck cancer.